Dan McCarthy is a great resource for leadership training. In this article, Dan discusses the benefits of using external consultants and trainers for your organizational development needs.
1. Internal expertise may be missing. External resources are sometimes needed when the required expertise is missing or in short supply within a company.
2. Innovation. An external resource can bring a fresh perspective and new ideas into a company.
3. Ability and willingness to take risks. Some external trainers and consultants are more willing and able to challenge people and processes without fear of political consequences. In other words, they can sometimes “get away” with something that an internal trainer wouldn’t dare try. Participants are often more comfortable opening up to an outsider.
4. Better use of internal resources. There is a cost to using internal subject matter experts and senior leaders – their time. Taking one of your best sales managers out of the field to train means less time spent coaching sales reps and meeting with customers.
5. External resources are easier to “fire.” Let’s face it, if you’re a trainer manager, and you somehow end up with a mediocre trainer, you’re going to be spending a lot of time on coaching and performance management. It’s much easier to replace an external resource.
Here at The Leadership Trust®, we specialize in customized consulting programs utilizing your specific input in order to benefit your organization. We’ll discuss goals and takeaways with you and create a program designed to exceed your expectations. Read more about What We Do and contact us today to address whatever your current organizational challenges. You’ll discover how we consider it a privilege to serve you through a real collaboration in excellence.